Jays Sign Jose Molina

Didn't see this one coming. I guess he and John Buck will battle for the catcher job. A no hit/good glove catcher. He might be a little better defensively than Buck. I guess this makes it less likely we'll see Raul Chavez this year.

BLUE JAYS SIGN JOSE MOLINA

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have signed C JOSE MOLINA to a US $400,000 contract with incentives for the 2010 season and a club option of US $1.2 million for the 2011 season.

        MOLINA, 34, spent last season with the New York Yankees batting .217 with four doubles, one home run and 11 RBI in 52 games.  The 6’2" 235 lb. native of Puerto Rico has played for three teams (Cubs – 1999, Angels – 2001-07 and Yankees – 2008-09) over a 10 year career. In 554 games, the right-handed hitter has posted a .235 average with 20 home runs and 136 RBI, while throwing out 37.4% of potential base stealers.

        To make room on the 40-man roster, RHP JESSE LITCH was placed on the 60-day disabled list

I guess since it is for the major league minimum that it is an ok deal, but not really a player I'd want.