I was able to listen to bits and pieces of the game, nice to hear Jerry and Alan. We are now 6-3 on the spring, pretty good for a team that everyone expects to lose 100 games. Not that it means we'll be good or anything but it is nice to see the pitching look so good this spring. It will have to be good, with the offense we have. Anyway, today's game.
- Ricky Romero threw 4 scoreless innings. He only allowed 2 hits but did give up 4 walks which isn't a good sign. On the other hand he got 10 ground ball outs with just one fly out and one strikeout.
- Dana Eveland had 3 scoreless innings, gave up two hits and no walks, with 4 strikeouts. He hasn't given up a run yet this spring. I'd love to see the team give him the 5th starter spot, if he continues to pitch well this spring, and keep the starters on a strict 5 man rotation, giving everyone an extra day with the days off. Since we don't have anyone that's pitched 200+ innings before, giving them a couple less starts this year wouldn't be a bad thing. We'll see, no way he makes it through waivers, so the team either has to have him on the roster or be willing to let him go. I hate giving up talent for free.
- Sean (how many ways are there to spell Shawn on this team) Henn pitched what I think was his first inning this spring, perhaps he pitched in a B game. Gave up 1 walk, no hits, no run. No chance he makes the team.
- Ray (formerly Reidier) Gonzalez pitched the 9th, got the save, gave up a hit and struck out one.
- Mike McCoy lead off, played short and was 2 for 4 with a run. He is hitting .615 this spring. He was caught stealing third. Bad move if it was his idea, perhaps Cito called it to see what he could do. Which isn't a bad idea for the manager. Didn't see him playing the field but seemed like he did ok.
- Joey Gathright was 0 for 3 with a strikeout. He is hitting .158 for the spring. Of course, very limited at bats. I'm not a fan but would be totally unfair to judge him on that batting average.
- Jeremy Reed went 2 for 3 with an RBI. He is hitting .471, very quietly having a good spring. Hasn't done anything to suggest he shouldn't be on the team.
- Brian Dopirak was 0 for 3 with 2 K. Hitting .294. He really needs to show a lot of power to have a chance to make the team out of spring training and he hasn't yet. I really think it is his last chance to make the team, because Wallace will pass him or has passed him.
- Randy Ruiz was 1 for 2. .500 for the spring.
- Travis Snider: 1 for 3, a double and a strike out. .211 for the spring. Some good play in the OF too.
- Brad Emaus: 2 for 2, with an RBI and a walk. Hitting .400. A great spring again.
- Jose Molina: 0 for 3, 2 strikeouts. .111 average. This is what you can expect from him offensively. Great arm though. Was charged with a passed ball.