FanPost

Fact or Fiction: Week 1

Note: Hugo: Promoted from FanPosts

By Syc - So I'm going to try something new here. Basically I'll be asking six questions to two different people. They had to answer with either Fact or Fiction. I'm going to try and keep this as a weekly event with two different people going against each other. This week we have HUGO vs TOM (Cue Ominous music)

So lets begin!

Question one: Brian Tallet is the better option right now over Dana Eveland for the last spot in the rotation?

Hugo: Fiction

Eveland doesn't have a great track record, but as much as I like Tallet and the way he stepped into the breach last
season, he wasn't particularly impressive as a starter last season and I can't imagine him being any better this
year. Eveland is younger and has better stuff. That said, I'm not sure it matters a great deal as I don't really
see either one as part of the Jays' long-term plans. I hope that Brett Cecil and Dustin McGowan make it all a moot point a few weeks into the season by forcing their respective ways into the rotation.

Tom: Fiction

I agree with Hugo, but I have worries that it will take more than 'a few weeks into the season' before Dustin
McGowan's ready to join us, in which case I'm even more for having Eveland make the team. The only real reason to
use Tallet is to drive up his trade value, but why wouldn't it work the same for Eveland, if he has a few good
starts he might have some trade value. I'm pretty sure all the other teams know what Tallet could do for them.
Maybe we'll luck out and the team will choose to have Cecil start the year in the rotation.

Question two: Edwin Encarnacion's wrist will keep him from returning to his 2008 form?

Hugo: Faction

Well, it depends on whether you mean this season or long-term. Wrist injuries are tricky and can take a long time
from which to recover. Therefore, I can see Encarnacion starting slow as he continues to build up strength in his
wrist. It might even take a good chunk of the season, or even the whole year. But I do see him picking up steam
as the season goes on. I hope the Jays give Encarnacion the occasional day off, using Bautista at third, to rest
his wrist.

Tom: Fiction

I'd imagine he'll might start slow but he finished well last year and it was after that they did the surgery. I'm not too worried about him, if things go bad, Bautista can play third, Snider RF, Lind LF and Ruiz DH. I'm not sure
the team isn't better off that way short term.

Question three: Travis Snider will play everyday and this will be his break out year?

Hugo: Fact

I think Snider is likely to have more than one "break out year" in the sense that I don't expect him to be a
complete product this season or to hit 40 home runs. But I do think that he can have a solid season and finish with an OPS in the high .700s or low .800s, with lots of doubles and showing improvement in his approach at the plate. I'd consider that a "breakout" year as it would make him a legitimate everyday mlb player.

Tom: Mostly Fact

He better play everyday. Breakout year is kind of a judgment call, he is only 22. There is lots of time for various levels of breakout.

-SWITCH!!-

Question four: Casey Janssen will win a spot in the Bullpen and become a great 7th inning option again?

Tom: Fact

Casey can to a great job in relief and has enough pitches to go 3 or 4 innings if the team needs him to.

Hugo: Fact

I agree with Tom. Janssen seems to have earned a spot in the bullpen and if he has recovered from his shoulder injury, he's a solid pitcher with very good control and 5 pitches. I think we will need to see more before we can say for sure, but indications right now are as favorable as they can be at this point.

Question five: Vernon Wells will silence his critics this year and Hit 20 HR and drive in over 100 RBI?

Tom: Fiction

There are two separate issue parts here. Vernon Wells will never silence his critics, he had a good year in 2008 (missing some time with injuries) and folks ragged on him. People are going to complain whatever he does because he had the damn gall to sign that contract. No matter what happens this year he won't silence critics. Will he hit 20 homers? I'd think so. 100 RBI? That depends some on the rest of the offence. With a bottom of the order unlikely to get on much and Jose Bautista and Aaron Hill in the top two spots, 100 RBI is likely a tall order.

Hugo: Faction

I agree that Wells will have a tough time quieting critics who hold his big contract against him. Personally, I don't get that - good for him that he signed the big deal the team put in front of him, and it's not as if he hasn't worked hard on and off the field - all indications are that he is a hard worker, excellent teammate, and excellent ambassador for the city. I will take the over on 20 home runs - call me optimistic, but I think Wells will be a bit rejuvinated and hit more like he did in 2008, hopefully with fewer injury issues. But the main thing is he needs to get back into driving the ball and less rolling over and popping up.

Question six: The Blue Jays will finish the year as a .500 team.

Tom: Fiction

I don't think they will be as bad as some of the experts think but the rotation is made up of 5 guys with no track record as starters in the majors. While I think they each could be good, hoping they all will is a stretch. Even being good, they won't get deep into games. Add in an offense that has a leadoff hitter that has a .316 lifetime OBP versus right handed pitching, that will apparently have John Buck hitting 6th and Alex Gonzalez making outs 70%of the time.It is possible that Bautista will surprise us, it's possible John Buck will be better than I think, but 81 wins is a tall order for this group. Mid 70's would be a nice target for wins.

Hugo: Fiction

I don't see .500 either. There are not many above-average hitters in the lineup and the pitching is a question mark, though one laden with potential. Most of all, though, it's the division. This team in another division could definitely finish .500, in the AL East, I think we'll be looking at 75-78 wins.

So there we go folks, just an idea of what I was trying to do here. Don't be shy to add feedback below. If you are interested in participating with someone else leave me a note below. If you have any good questions that you would like answered drop a note below. Thanks to Hugo and Tom for taking time out to answer these questions. Much appreciated fellas!

Cheers

SYC