Quick Recap: Spring Games 19 and 20, Two loses for the price of one.

Rays 14 Blue Jays (ss) 10

Blue Jays (ss)  2 Red Sox 3

In the space of a few hours we go from .500 to two games under .500 for the spring.

Pitching:

In the Rays game:

  • Shaun Marcum had his first bad showing of the spring. Everyone is supposed to have one, though it seems like he was left out there to take it for awhile. 5 innings, 9 hits, 2 walks, 2 homers, 9 earned, 2 K. I'm not going to worry about it, unless he get shelled the next time out too, dead arm hits everyone sometime during the spring.
  • Steven Register: only got 2 outs, 5 hits, 5 earned and 2 walks. Wasn't going to make the team anyway.
  • David Purcey: pitched a good 1.1, no hits, no walks, 1 K.
  • Merkin Valdez: perfect inning.
  • Kevin Gregg: perfect inning.

Continued after the jump.

In the Red Sox game:

  • Brett Cecil pitched a good 5 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 4 K, no runs. And it was against a lot of the Sox regulars. Nice job. 3.68 ERA on the spring after a bad start to it.
  • Marty McLeary: didn't even know we had him. Pitched a handful of games for the Pirates in 06 and 07. 2 perfect innings with a strikeout.
  • Zach Jackson: gave up 3 runs in the ninth to cost us the game, made it through a scoreless 8th first. 1.1 innings 5 hits 3 earned, 1 walk.

Batting:

Rays game:

  • Jose Bautista: 0 for 4. .441.
  • Aaron Hill: 3 for 4, double, 2 runs, steal. .417.
  • Jeremy Reed: 3 for 4, walk, run, RBI. .413. Played some first today. He couldn't do much more to make his case to be on the team.
  • Kyle Phillips: 3 for 5, homer and double, run, 4 RBI. Went in for Overbay when he was hurt. .533 on the spring. Won't make the team but showing off well.
  • Chris Lubanski: 0 for 5, K. .156. That's one bandwagon that didn't leave the station.
  • Michael McDade: 3 for 5, 2 K, double, 2 runs. .545. Either hit or struck out. Nice showing this spring.
  • Alex Gonzalez: 1 for 4, walk, K. .241.
  • Raul Chavez: 1 for 3. .200.
  • Jose Molina: 1 for 1, homer, 2 runs, 2 RBI. .158.
  • Joey Gathright: 0 for 5, run. .179.

Red Sox Game:

Jesse Carlson pitched a perfect inning in a minor league game. Cito says he is 'leaning towards' Frasor as closers. Makes sense.