Quick Recap: Spring Game 24, Jays and Phillies

Blue Jays 5 Phillies 2

Well, we beat the best pitcher in baseball, that's not a bad thing even in spring. Doc had a terrible first inning, giving up 3 doubles, a homer, a single and 4 runs. After the first he was perfect, he just threw 3 innings, but then he is starting Sunday to open the season for the Phillies,

Pitching:

  • Brett Cecil had a really good start; 6 innings, 6 hits, no walks, 4 K's, 2 earned both on solo homers. Neither one was crushed. Brings him down to a 3.38 ERA for the spring. He might have won himself a job.
  • Scott Downs: 1 inning, 1 walk.
  • Jason Frasor: 1 perfect inning, 2 K's.
  • Merkin Valdez: 1 inning, a walk and a K.

Batting:

Brings us to 11-12 with a tie on the spring. We have 3 spring games left, the ones on Friday and Saturday are on TV in Canada, from Minute Maid Park in Houston. Then our season starts Monday in Texas against the Rangers.

Shawn Marcum pitched 5 innings in a Triple-A game today to get himself ready for Monday's start. He gave up 5 hits, no walks, 3 earned with 5 strikeouts.