Jays Claim Casey Fien Off Waivers

The press release:

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have claimed RHP CASEY FIEN off waivers from the Boston Red Sox.

FIEN, 26, was recently claimed on waivers by Boston on March 1 from Detroit. In nine games for the Tigers last season he posted a 0-1 record with a 7.94 ERA in 11.1 innings. The 6-2, 195 lb. right-hander spent the majority of the 2009 season with Toledo of the International League (AAA), posting a 3.41 ERA in 42 relief appearances, adding 66 strikeouts in 58 innings. In four minor league seasons the Santa Rosa, California native has recorded a 14-6 record with a 3.04 ERA in 153 contests.

To make room on the 40-man roster, RHP SCOTT RICHMOND was placed on the 60-day disabled list with right shoulder impingement.

Me Back:

I didn't realize that Richmond's shoulder was that bad that he should go on the 60-day DL. Fien has a 3.04 ERA in 153 games in relief in the minors. He has struck out 9.7/9 innings in the minors. He got into 9 games with the Tigers last year, pitching 11.1 innings, striking out 9 with a 7.94 ERA.

Looks like he throws two fastballs two seem and four seam as well as a slider. Looks like our bullpen picture just got a little muddier.