Blue Jays Sign Adeiny Hechavarria

Here's the press release:

BLUE JAYS SIGN ADEINY HECHAVARRIA

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have signed Cuban SS ADEINY HECHAVARRIA (a - DAY - nee, hetch - a - VA - ree - a) to a four year US $10 million contract commencing with the 2010 season.

HECHEVARRIA, who will turn 21 on April 15, spent last season in the Cuban League posting a .262 average with six doubles, two triples and one home run. In 327.1 defensive innings, the shortstop committed only five errors in 217 chances for a .977 fielding percentage. The 5'11" 178 lb. right-handed hitter is a native of Santiago De Cuba, Cuba and was the starting shortstop for the Cuban Junior Team in 2007 that played in the World Junior Championships in Canada. Hechavarria is expected to attend Extended Spring Training, before being assigned to a Blue Jays affiliate.

Tom Back: We knew it was coming but it is great that it is finally announced. I wonder how long he'll be at extended spring training?

Morgan Campbell thwips that the pronunciation of his name is ah-THEY-nee eh-CHA-bah-ree-ah.

Jordan Bastian thwips that Hechavarria's contract is: Hechavarria received $4 mil bonus. $500K in 2010, $2 million in 2011, $1.75 million in 2011 and $1.75 million in 2012.