Ricky Romero Takes a No Hitter into the 8th, Strikes Out 12, Jays Beat White Sox

White Sox 2 Blue Jays 4

Didn't we just have the debate about whether Ricky Romero was any good? I think he answered that one. 8 innings, one hit, 12 K, 10 ground outs to 2 fly outs. It is unfortunate that the one hit was a Alex Rios homer but such is life. Kevin Gregg pitched the 9th to get the save, he struck out 2 in his perfect inning. He is pitching a lot better than he did last year. I'm not sure what the change is, but I like it.

Offensively we did enough. Two hits each for Adam Lind, Vernon Wells, John Buck and Edwin Encarnacion. Vernon's were both doubles. One for Alex Gonzalez and Lyle Overbay. Jose Bautista and Travis Snider each took a walk. Mike McCoy was 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts. Edwin had 2 RBI, Wells and Overbay had 1 each.

Truly I think booing Rios back fires. He's generally not very interested in what's going on, giving him a reason to get interested is a mistake.

Jays of the Day are Romero (.315 WPA), Encarnacion (.105) and Wells (.093).  No Suckage Jays, McCoy came closest at -.073.

Something we learned? A.J. Pierzynski is a good actor. Or a jerk, one or the other.

Cito talking about Rios:

The more we boo him, the better he swings. Maybe we should leave him alone the next two nights and let him get out of town.

Great game. Romero really is a good pitcher. That makes us 6-2 on the season and still in first place.