Jays Pick Up Fred Lewis from Giants

Here is the press release:

BLUE JAYS ACQUIRE OF FRED LEWIS

            The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have acquired outfielder FRED LEWIS from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

LEWIS has yet to appear in a game this season after being placed on the disabled list by the San Francisco Giants on April 4 with a strained left oblique muscle.  Today he was activated from the disabled list following his recall from a medical rehabilitation assignment with Fresno of the Pacific Coast League where he hit .409 in seven games with one home run and six RBI.

 The 6-2, 200lb. left-handed batter was selected by San Francisco in the 2nd round of the 2002 First Year Player Draft.  In four Major League seasons with the Giants he has appeared in 326 games posting a .277 batting average with 53 doubles, 16 triples, 16 home runs, 81 RBI and 34 stolen bases.

To make room for LEWIS, the Blue Jays have optioned OF JEREMY REED to Las Vegas of the Pacific Coast League and transferred RHP DUSTIN MCGOWAN from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man roster.

Tom Back: Sorry to see that McGowan has been moved to the 60-day but I didn't expect him to back before 60. To bad for Reed to be sent down so quick. He looked good in RF tonight and got a hit and a walk tonight.

I'm hoping he'll end up in a platoon with Bautista but he'll have a full time job while Encarnacion is out, which will be a few more days. It will be interesting to see him, he has some speed and some power potential.

We are living in interesting times. Just a day after we put up the post wondering if we might pick him up.

John Lott Quoting Cito:

"Lewis is just going to be one of the guys coming off the bench and we'll try to get him in there once in a while as much as I can."

I don't understand trading for Lewis if he isn't going to play much but we'll see. Cito will want to see him before deciding what do do with him.  I can imagine Cito wouldn't know much about Lewis yet since he played in the other league. Is entirely understandable that he would want to see him first hand before committing to anything.