FanPost

Merkin Valdez

             I know this was mentioned in passing in the game recap but I think it requires more discussion. I was at the game last night and it was a good game to see, dominating pitching by Morrow, a couple of huge home runs and some speed on the bases for once. However, one thing that really disappointed me was Cito's use of the bullpen. Morrow gave 7 good innings using only 90 pitches and it was very encouraging to see. I was shocked to see Cito go to Shawn Camp in the 8th inning though. Not that I'm super concerned about overuse of Camp's golden arm or anything but it seemed the perfect opportunity to put in Valdez or Accardo at least. Specifically Valdez though. If Merkin Valdez is going to occupy a roster spot he needs to be used occasionally. I realize that they don't want to lose the arm so they keep him on the roster but he is 28, no longer really a prospect. At that age he must be expected to be able to make some contribution to the team. If you can't trust a 28 year old to appear in the 8th inning in a game in which you have a 7 run lead then there is no reason to have him on your team. Valdez has appeared in one game, and though he did not fare well that is no reason to go to basically a 6 man bullpen (5 if you count the underuse of Accardo, which I would tend to do). It just seemed literally stupid not to pitch Valdez or Accardo or both last night. I'm not a huge fan of Valdez who is demanding to see him, nor I am a proponent of getting rid of him, all i want is for Cito to use the players that are on his roster.