FanPost

Double-A Roundup April 6, 2010

The double-a affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays, The New Hampshire Fisher Cats had their first game of the season tonight, an exhibition against local Rivier College.  It was hard to get a good look at the team's abilities simply because Rivier was so awful.  The final score was 14-0 and Rivier managed only a single base hit.

Stats/Notes after the jump.

(I figure I'll do one of these per homestand unless that gets to be too much and then just let me know and I'll make them monthly or whatever is best.)

Starting pitcher Bobby Bell went 5 innings, allowed 1 hit and had 8 K's.

David Cooper struckout in his first at bat but then drove in the first run of the game on his next at bat on a single.  A positive note on him is that I never saw him smile last year and he was full of smiles tonight and was quite friendly.  Perhaps a new attitude that could be the start of a bounceback season for him.

Outfielder Adam Calderone and Catcher Jonathan Jaspe each hit a grand slam in the fifth inning.

Outfielder Darin Mastroianni went 2 for 4 with a deep triple off the wall, a walk and a stolen base.  His 2 outs both went to the warning track.  Not sure if this is a sign he has more power this year or that the opposing pitching was so bad.

Outfielder Eric Thames went 1 for 3 with a double off the wall and a walk.  I had never seen him before and he looked really good at the plate.

Kyle Drabek was sitting in the stands charting.  Seemed relaxed, and nice.  His new teammates had nothing but positive things to say about him.

My next post will either come after the opening series or in about 2 weeks.  I may do one Sunday just because it will include a Kyle Drabek report as he is scheduled to pitch Thursday night.