Jays Come Up Short, Lose to A's.

A's 4 Jays 3

Dana Eveland had to battle all game, he gave up 8 hits, 3 walks and 4 runs in 6.2 innings. The 4 runs was one to many. He had 12 ground outs to 4 fly outs. Not a terrible start but not good enough. Casey Janssen got us a couple of outs and Scott Downs got the last 5 outs. Downs looks like he's over whatever troubles caused a couple of bad outings in the middle of April.

The Jays did try to make a come back. Jose Bautista singled and Lyle Overbay got a pitch hit single that bounced over the head of the A's first baseman. Our turf helps us out on occasion. Fred Lewis drove both of them in with a double, to make it a one run game. But he tried to stretch it into a triple and was thrown out to end the inning.

We didn't get much for offense, 5 hits, three of them by Lewis. Randy Ruiz, getting a rare start went 0 for 3 with 2 strikeouts dropping his average to .095. Pretty tough to make the case for him to play more. Once we struck out a ton, 11 times on the game.

Jays of the Day are Fred Lewis (.102 WPA) though I'm tempted to take it away for getting thrown out at third and Scott Downs (.092). Jays getting Suckage numbers are Alex Gonzalez (-.160),  Eveland (-.131), Adam Lind (-.100) and Ruiz (-.099).

Tomorrow afternoon Shaun Marcum (0-1, 3.44) goes up against Ben Sheets (1-2, 5.00). Hope we can get Shaun a win.