FanPost

Greatest vs Greatest

Today the world of MLB fans get to see one of the most anticipated match-ups of our current era in baseball.   Technically this belongs over at the Good Phight blog but we are all big Halladay fans here so I don't think anyone will mind.

Roy Halladay will face off against Albert Pujols today at 8pm EST.  I personally have been wanting to see these two face each other for a few years now and I am very excited.  My biggest problem is who do I want to win in this match-up.

Albert Pujols is, I think, the most talented hitter since Lou Gehrig.  He is a gold glove firstbaseman and one of the smartest base runners in baseball to go alongside his tremendous ability with his bat.  In the 9 years he has been in baseball he has set new standards for consistency.

Over his career he has hit .334/.427/.627.  If you take his career worst numbers in each major category you'd still have an MVP type season

.314/.403/.561 32 HR 103 RBI 99 RS.

He has walked more then he has struck out every year but his rookie season, and the spread between the two numbers gets larger every season.  Perhaps my favorite tidbit about Albert Pujols is that he has never once in his career (according to Elias Stats Bureau) swung and missed at three straight pitches.

I won't say much about Halladay because everyone here knows his brilliance.  We know he is the model that all pitchers look to.  He leads or is in the top 3 of every single pitcher stats over the past 8 season.

I don't think the league has ever had a pitcher and position player that were so clearly, heads above the rest of their peers, as we do in Halladay and Pujols.

Today they face off for the first time.