Kevin Gregg Blows One, Jays Lose to Rays.

Rays 7 Blue Jays 8

Really not a fun way to lose. I really didn't expect much from Brian Tallet tonight and he goes 5.2 scoreless innings. 4 hits, 3 walks and 4 strikeouts. Who expected that? Up 5-0 after 6 innings and considering our pen, you had to feel good.

Casey Janssen gave up a single and a double to start off the 7th. Jason Frasor comes in and gives up 3 singles, getting just 2 outs. Shawn Camp comes in and gets the last out of the inning. 5-3 and all still seems good. Camp got 2 outs of the 8th and Scott Downs gets the last of the inning.

Top of the ninth, up by 2 and Kevin Gregg come in. Upton strikes out. Good. Crawford walks. Well ok, up by two, no one on, go after him, but ok. Longoria walks. Hmmmm. Carlos Pena strikes out. Great fun, he tried to call time on the last pitch but wasn't given it and strike three called. Not surprisingly he's a wee bit upset and ends up being booted, along with Joe Maddon. Two out. John Jaso walks. Bases loaded and Tom is approaching the ledge. Ben Zobrist walks. Run in and our lead is one. Sean Rodriguez doubles, clearing the baserunners. We are down by two. That whistling sound you here is me hurdling towards the ground. Dioner Navarro walks.

Finally Cito removes Gregg. Gregg goes off on home plate umpire Angel Hernandez. He could have used some close pitches called strikes but he wasn't really pounding the zone.  Rommie Lewis comes in and gets the last out. Suddenly we are going into the bottom of the 9th down by two.

But then this is our Jays, we can come back from anything.

Fred Lewis gets on a throwing error. Hill fly out. Lind strike out. Vernon Wells hits one that I thought was going out, but hit the top of the wall. Two feet higher and we have a tie game. Jose Bautista hit a ball hard too but off the end of the bat and it carried to Carl Crawford in left.

We did get a fair bit of offense. Fred Lewis started the game off with a home run. He was 3 for 5. Hill, Wells and Overbay had 2 hits. John Buck hit a home run. The only Jays not to get a hit were Edwin Encarnacion and Bautista, but Jose walked twice.

Jays of the Day are Tallet (.308 WPA), Fred Lewis (.241) and Camp (.136). Suckage Jays are Gregg (-.846), Bautista (-.126) and Hill (-.110).

That's one we really should have one, but we showed again that we can play with the best teams in the AL East. Tomorrow night Shaun Marcum (5-1, 2.59) goes against David Price (7-2, 2.57) in the rubber match for the series.