FanPost

Blue Jays and the World Cup

I have a passion for football (you call it soccer, yes, but it should really be called football) and baseball, and sometimes I combine the two. Huh, you say? Well, I'll give you an example: in anticipation of the world cup that starts tomorrow, I'm trying to think of what kind of team the Jays would field were they asked to play a game of football.

Goalkeeper: I think most pitchers look like goalkeepers. I think this is because they're usually pretty tall. Of our pitchers, I think Marcum should be goalkeeper. He's reliable if unspectacular, and the fact that he field his position very well makes me think he's a goalie. Molina and Buck are backup goalies (because catchers don't look like they belong on a football field).

Central Defenders: This is the position where strength is most important compared to the other positions in football. Obviously Overbay should go here, as well as Lind. Frasor and Gregg are their backups. This is a defense that is probably vulnerable to the offense of speedier teams.

Flank Defenders: Bautista fits here perfectly I think - fullbacks typically take throw-ins, where Bautista's arm strength should come in real handy - and I think Encarnacion's proneness to errors makes him a typical fullback. Backups are Cecil and Downs.

Defensive Midfielder: I think Aaron Hill is a perfect fit here. He's a strong but mobile enough player who probably has good positioning (as a second baseman without great speed). Backup is Janssen.

Central Midfielder/Playmaker: Leave the playmaking to Jays icon Vernon Wells. From center field he is used to reading the game, he should have the vision to distribute the ball to the attacking options. Backup is McDonald.

Wingers: Speed demon Lewis should definitely be a winger, and I think Snider could be a winger. Reed and McCoy are the backups.

Strikers: I feel Alex Gonzalez would have the positioning, reflexes and speed to be a good goalgetter. He would be paired with Ricky Romero, who is the guy who would try to win headers and hold up the ball. Morrow would be emergency striker, though moving one of the wingers to the centre of the pitch would probably make more sense.

I'd like to hear what other football-watching Jays fans think about who should play where.