Litsch Looks Good, Blue Jays shut out Giants 3 - 0: Yea, Yeah; Yea, Yea, Yea, Yea, Yeah!

Well, some games are never in doubt.  This wasn't one of them.  Matt Cain and Jesse Litsch held the opposition at bay for 7 innings.  In fact, through seven, neither offence had scored and there had been a combined nine baserunners (four hits and a walk for the Jays offence, three hits and an hitbatsman for the Giants).

After seven, Cito pulled Litsch in favor of Shawn Camp, who worked in and out of trouble, giving up a double to Edgar Renteria and then intentionally walking one before escaping unscored-upon.  The bottom of the eighth began swimmingly for Cain, who got two quick outs, but he walked Fred Lewis before giving up the big blow in the game, a two-run bomb off the bat of Aaron Hill.  After failing to get Adam Lind (who singled), Santiago Casilla came in to relieve.  Vernon Wells singled, advancing Lind to second before DeWayne Wise came in to pinch-run for him.  Alex Gonzalez singled him home before Jose Bautista flew out to end the inning.  Kevin Gregg came in for an easy 1-2-3 (two popouts and a groundout) inning save and the Jays look to sweep tomorrow.

As you'd have guessed, not too much offence from the Jays over the first seven innings, but overall everyone in the lineup got at least one hit (Lind got two) besides Jose Bautista (who walked) and John Buck (who didn't).  Lewis walked to start the eighth inning rally, Hill had the big homer and Lyle Overbay doubled in the fifth.

Litsch gave us reason to be hopeful about his rehabilitation (even if he was pitching against the Giants), pitching seven strong, generating plenty of grounders and striking out three.  The only free pass he yielded was when he hit the second batter of the game.  Camp worked around Renteria's double and Gregg looked great in the ninth.

Jays of the Day go to Litsch (0.451), Camp (0.109) and Hill (0.290).  John Buck (-0.118) takes home the Hinske.