FanShot

MLB Power Rankings: The "I hate the AL East" Edition

1
According to SBNation, 4 of the top 6 teams all reside in the AL East. 1. Tampa Bay Rays It seems that Tampa Bay is finally starting to hit a rough patch. The Rays have gone 3-6 since winning back-to-back games against the Astros, and they very nearly lost again on Tuesday. The pitching has come down a bit (Garza was lit up for six runs against the Red Sox) while the offense still hasn't quite clicked. Still, they have the best record in the majors, so it's important to understand the difference between concern and panic. A Rays team with holes is still one of the better teams of the decade. 2. New York Yankees After losing the New York Series against the Mets, the Yankees came back and won two series against the Twins and Indians. The offense is still clicking as the team scored 37 runs in four games against the Indians -- but still managed to lose game two. The Yankees have any easy stretch coming up, playing three of their next four sets against the Orioles and Astros. The O's and Indians have already given them their first three-game winning streak since early May. This is a golden opportunity for the league's most expensive team to leapfrog the league's most efficient. 5. Toronto Blue Jays While the Blue Jays continue to pound out the hits like they are wearing pinstripes, their pitching is going unnoticed -- and it should be noticed. Ricky Romero (2.78) and Shaun Marcum (3.14) are 2nd and 4th, respectively, in the AL in FIP. While the offense seems to not want to go away, the jury is still out on the starting pitching. If these two can hang on and put up good numbers the rest of the way, the American League East will be a Wild West show through September. 6. Boston Red Sox The Red Sox finished May with an 18-11 record and put themselves right back into the thick of things in the American League. Just when things started to look good, however, things turned worse again. Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Cameron came off the disabled list and then Ellsbury went back on. Now Cameron is sitting another game because of "abdominal soreness." The jury is still out if the Sox can put it all together with healthy pieces.