FanShot

Mark Whiten homers in Cooperstown

+

This headline in the Globe and Mail caught me by surprise. Though he didn't play long for the Jays, I still remember Mark Whiten well, from those years in the late 1980s when the Jays seemed to develop an endless string of promising young outfielders. Whiten's been out of the game for 10 years, but sounds like he's still in good shape. At the Hall of Fame Classic in Cooperstown playing with other "old-timers", he won the pre-game hitting contest (over another former Jay Jeff Kent) and was named the game's MVP. I like how Whiten "attributed his hitting prowess to a couple of extra slices of pizza". Now that's a kind of regiment I can relate to.