Edwin Encarnacion Designated for Assignment

Now I didn't see this coming at all, press release:

BLUE JAYS DESIGNATE ENCARNACION

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have designated 3B EDWIN ENCARNACION for assignment, while RHP SCOTT RICHMOND has been reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Dunedin of the Florida State League (A).

ENCARNACION, 27, has appeared in 37 games for the Blue Jays this season, posting a .200 average with nine home runs and 22 RBI. In his sixth major league season, including 2009-10 with the Blue Jays the Dominican Republic native has a career .257 average with 88 home runs and 308 RBI.

RICHMOND, 30, is returning from a right shoulder impingement that sidelined him in spring training. The North Vancouver, British Columbia native has started two games on a rehab assignment recently, going 2-0 with a 2.31 ERA for the Dunedin Blue Jays. In parts of two seasons with Toronto, the right-hander is 9-14 with a 5.27 ERA in 32 games, including 29 starts.

Tom Back: I don't know what went on, but it seems strange that the Jays are just giving up on the guy.

There is a press conference later, I might have some answers after that.