Jays First Draft Pick, Number 11 Overall: Deck McGuire, RHP.

Copying from Andy Seiler:

Deck McGuire   Position: RHP   School: Georgia Tech   State: GA   Year: Jr.  Height: 6’6’’   Weight: 220

Birth Date: 6/23/89   Seiler Rating: 1B1   Last Drafted: Never

Year

ERA

GS

SV

IP

ER

HR

BB

SO

2008

8

1

3.46

17

13

0

78.0

70

35

30

8

32

70

2009

11

2

3.50

16

16

0

100.1

86

51

39

8

41

118

2010

8

4

3.01

15

15

0

104.2

86

42

35

12

31

112

Deck McGuire is a tall, lanky right-handed pitcher from Georgia Tech. McGuire originally came to the university from Deep Run High School in Glen Allen, Virginia, a northern suburb of Richmond. Even though he was a known commodity in the scouting ranks in high school, there wasn’t enough upside or current stuff to project him as a big-time arm, so he went undrafted and headed to Tech. From there, he’s gone from valuable arm to likely top ten overall pick, and though his upside isn’t as high as many of the available options in the first round, his floor is considerably higher than the majority, as well. With a pro pitch mix that includes four above-average pitches, he should be a mid-rotation starter with a chance to be a number two starter if he regains a little zip on his fastball. His fastball is an above-average pitch right now, sitting 90-92, touching 94, and though his command can be plus at times, it’s more commonly average, causing him to be more of a flyball pitcher. He’s been a 91-94 mph pitcher in the past, and he’s flashed that velocity at times late in the spring, but he’s more comfortable on the lower end of that range, getting above-average movement. His best offspeed pitch is a plus slider that routinely sits in the mid-80s, and it’s the most improved pitch in his arsenal. His curveball also has the potential to be plus, but he has trouble staying on top of it at times due to his three-quarters release point. It gets two-plane break when on, and is a nice complement to his hard stuff. His changeup has flashed above-average potential, as well, but he’s gone away from it as the spring has gone along. With this type of stuff, he’s a likely top ten pick, and it would be shocking to see him fall below the Reds, who are picking at number twelve. He should sign quickly for close to slot money.