Jays Second Pick, Number 34 Overall: Aaron Sanchez, RHP.

Andy Seiler says:

Aaron Sanchez   Position: RHP   School: Barstow HS   State: CA   Height: 6’3’’  Weight: 175

Birth Date: 7/1/92   Seiler Rating: 1C2   Commitment: Oregon

Aaron Sanchez is a projectable right-handed pitcher from Barstow High School in Barstow, California, a town somewhere in the middle of nowhere in California. Sanchez has always been seen as a prototypical projectable arm in this class, but he took a big enough step forward early this spring to be seen as a legitimate early pick. He’s a well-known prospect by now on the national stage, as well, having been an AFLAC All-American next to the big ticket names such as Jameson Taillon and Bryce Harper. Though his current stuff doesn’t seem particularly big, he has enough projection left in a tall, skinny frame to think of him as a potential number three starter in the big leagues, though that may not be for another ten years, that being said without much exaggeration. His fastball is a current above-average pitch with a chance to be plus, and it sits 90-93 at the moment, touching 95 rarely. Some scouts believe he can add three miles an hour to that pitch, which would put him in elite category, but a tick or two would be all that’s needed to make his fastball plus. In addition, he throws a potential plus curveball with excellent break, and he has smooth mechanics that allow scouts to think he’ll succeed with pro instruction. He’s very athletic, too, which means repeatable mechanics are attainable and his curveball is likely to get better. He doesn’t really throw much of a changeup yet, and that’s one of his biggest drawbacks, but scouts are generally unconcerned about that, as he’s not going to be picked high enough to where speed through the system will be a key. He could slip into the back third of the first round, but it’s more likely that he’s drafted somewhere from the supplemental first round to the beginning of the third round, and he should sign a slightly over slot bonus.

In This Article

Teams