Blue Jays 4th Pick, Number 41 Overall. Asher Wojciechowski.

Andy Seiler says:

Asher Wojciechowski   Position: RHP   School: The Citadel   State: SC   Year: Jr.   Height: 6’4’’   Weight: 205

Birth Date: 12/21/88   Seiler Rating: 1B1   Last Drafted: Never

Year

ERA

GS

SV

IP

ER

HR

BB

SO

2008

5

1

4.50

14

12

0

76.0

70

41

38

5

40

78

2009

3

3

4.39

12

12

0

69.2

61

39

34

3

34

75

2010

10

2

3.23

14

14

0

103.0

84

43

37

7

29

128

Asher Wojciechowski is a durable right-handed starting pitcher from The Citadel in South Carolina. Wojciechowski originally came to The Citadel from Beaufort High School in Beaufort, South Carolina, a small town on the southern part of the South Carolina coastline. As a fairly lightly-recruited and scouted high school player, he went undrafted, and even though he began to play a critical part on the The Citadel’s team as a freshman, he was never expected to blossom in the way he has as a junior. He was a starter for the first two years of his college career, posting solid numbers with solid stuff, and he joined Team USA last summer as an extra piece that the team could use as necessary. However, he’s simply exploded this spring, and with a pair of plus pitches, he projects as a possible number two or three starter at the next level. His first plus pitch is fastball that has gained significant velocity this spring, sitting 93-95, touching 96, most of the season. If he can maintain that type of velocity at the Major League level, he’d have one of the most elite fastballs for a starter in the league. His second plus pitch is a plus slider that was far more advanced than his fastball entering the spring, and he commands it with precision against both left-handed and right-handed hitters. His changeup is a possible average pitch with time, but he hasn’t thrown it a lot, which puts him slightly behind other college pitchers in this draft. He will need to work on that pitch to succeed, and there are a few scouts who think his two pitches would work better in the bullpen, where he could be an elite closer. However, he profiles best as a starter, and he could go in the back third of the first round or in the supplemental first round, where he’ll sign quickly for the neighborhood of slot money.