Joe hit ball now? Ok Boss. (Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)
I figured with the all-star game coming up we could go over a run down of each position and who might be deserving of the all-star selection. We will break down 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS, OF and Catcher as those are the positions that are voted on by the fans. Today we look at C.
Just like last time, let us first take a look at the current voting totals. Again these numbers are current as of the latest article released by MLB.com on June 28th 2010.
|RANK||PLAYER NAME||AL TEAM||TOTAL VOTES|
|3.||Victor Martinez||Red Sox||896,413|
Now let's take a closer look at each of these players starting at the bottom and working our way back up to number one. All Stats are before games on the 30th of June took place
|2010 - Gerald Laird||48||154||13||30||6||0||2||13||13||33||2||1||.195||.265||.273|
5. Gerald Laird. He started out the year slowly and it was reported that he would be the number 1 starter for the Tigers. That quickly fell apart as he just hasn't done well. He has split time with Alex Avila, and even with full time at bats an OBP of 265 and Slug of 273 just won't cut it. For the life of me I can't understand why someone like Laird would have more votes then John Buck who is clearly having the better season to date.
|2010 - Taylor Teagarden||10||27||3||1||0||0||0||0||4||17||0||0||.037||.188||.037|
4. Taylor Teagarden. Yes. That is not a mis-print. Taylor Teagarden is the 4th top votegetter in the American league catchers category. He was optioned to AAA back in April and has not returned. He hit worse then awful while he was here. This one is even more mind-boggling then Gerald Laird. At this point, even backup catchers around the AL deserve a better shot then Teagarden.
|2010 - Victor Martinez||66||246||36||71||20||0||9||38||22||25||1||0||.289||.344||.480|
3. Victor Martinez. The Boston catcher was that was shipped into Boston last year from the Indians He is putting together a solid season even though his defense may not be up to stuff. He is a very potent bat to have behind the plate and Boston can certainly use the extra power. I think its fair to say with his bat Martinez definately deserve to be in the conversation when it comes to the all-star game, but is he third on the list because he plays for Boston?
|2010 - Jorge Posada||49||160||25||44||10||0||9||28||25||38||0||0||.275||.379||.506|
2. Jorge Posada. Ahh,. Another Yankee. Who would of thought it? Posada is still defined as a catcher... and I guess he does have 29 starts there. Granted another 17 starts have come at DH so obviously the Yankees are trying to save his legs. While he is in the lineup he continues to hit decently and provide the Yankees with a solid average OBP and SLG. He did miss half of May which has held back a few of his numbers. Again the same question has to be asked. Is he this high because he is a Yankee? Or does he deserve it?
|2010 - Joe Mauer||68||255||41||77||22||1||3||34||32||26||1||2||.302||.378||.431|
1. Jose Mauer. The current MLB 10 The show coverboy, reigning MVP. He has also collecting back to back Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers and All-Star appearances. Last year was just insane for Mauer. And while this year is a step down due to the missing power stroke and Home Runs. He is still hitting doubles to get his slugging respectable. He is still hitting 300 (he has a .325 career average.... Crazy) and with carry over from last year, he was a shoe in for top vote getter. As long as he didn't get injured/completely suck and get sent to the minors. Then again after looking at Laird and Teagarden maybe that wouldn't have changed anything.
Out of all the voting lists this is one that confuses me the most. How is Teagarden, a player that is in AAA even in this discussion let alone on the leaderboards? And Laird isn't much better but at least he is playing in the Bigs. I am not saying someone like Buck deserve to be starting but at the very least he deserves to be in the discussion. And what about Napoli, I think those two definitely deserve to be higher at the expense of Laird and Teagarden. So let me hear it, Who is missing from them list that should be on it? Do you agree with the top 3?
Today's title is from Bull Durham.