Roster Moves: Marcum DLed, Rzepczynski Up. Hoffpauir Down, Encarnacion Up.

Here is the press release:

MARCUM PLACED ON DISABLED LIST

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have placed RHP SHAUN MARCUM on the 15-day disabled list today with right elbow inflammation, optioned 3B JARRETT HOFFPAUIR to Las Vegas of the Pacific Coast League (AAA), recalled LHP MARC RZEPCZYNSKI from Las Vegas and selected the contract of 3B EDWIN ENCARNACION from Las Vegas. In order to make room on the 40-man roster, the Blue Jays have outrighted OF JEREMY REED, and he subsequently has elected free agency.

MARCUM, 28, has made 17 starts this season, posting a 7-4 record with 3.44 ERA. His seven wins are tied for the club lead, while his 107.1 innings are 2nd behind Ricky Romero. The right-hander has record the lowest opponent’s average in the American League amongst starters with a .236 mark since the 2007 season.

RZEPCZYNSKI, 24, has made nine starts for Las Vegas after recovering from a broken finger in spring training. The 6’3", 205 lb. left-hander has recorded a 4-3 mark with a 6.66 ERA, although in his last six outings has fashioned a 4-1 record with a 3.38 ERA. The Yorba Linda, California native was 2-4 with a 3.67 ERA for the Blue Jays in his rookie season of 2009 in 11 starts.

ENCARNACION, 27, has appeared in seven games for the 51s after being optioned to Las Vegas on June 21. The Dominican Republic native posted .438 average, with two doubles, three home runs and 13 RBI in his short stint in the Pacific Coast League. In 37 games with the Blue Jays this season, the right-handed hitter batted .200 with nine home runs and 22 RBI.

HOFFPAUIR, 27, appeared in nine games for the Blue Jays, posting a .214 average with one double. The Natchez, Mississippi native returns to the 51s in Las Vegas where he batted .328 with nine home runs and 43 RBI in 57 games during the 2010 season.

Tom back: I figured that Hoffpauir would last longer but he wasn't hitting at all and his upside isn't much, at his best he really isn't a major league third baseman and we never saw him near his best. EE has a lot more potential.

To make room for Encarnacion on the 40 man, the Jays outrighted Jeremy Reed to Vegas. He refused the move and is now a free agent. I liked Reed some but it isn't a big loss. He was never going to get playing time with us.