Lights That Flash in the Evening: 7/20 Minor League Update

Hi, everyone.  Today's title comes from the famous Replacements song "Can't Hardly Wait," (I like the Tim version personally) so let's take a look at how it went yesterday for those fellas who can't hardly wait to break into the majors.

Las Vegas beat Tacoma 9-6:

  • Brett Wallace was 2-5 with his 16th home run of the season.  .848 OPS.
  • J.P. Arencibia was 3-4 with a double and a walk.
  • Brad Emaus was 2-5 with a double.
  • Jarrett Hoffpauir was 2-4 with his 12th HR and a walk.  He also made his 13th error of the season at third base.
  • Brad Mills made the start and was pretty decent, 4 earned runs over 6 innings but all 6 hits against him were singles and 5 Ks and 2 walks.  Wish he would get the ball on the ground a bit more.  4.13 ERA and 81/37 K/BB over 89 innings, pretty solid for the PCL.
  • Josh Roenicke pitched 2 2/3 innings, striking out 3 (no walks) and giving up a solo HR.

Lansing lost 3-1 to Beloit:

  • Kevin Nolan was 3-4 with 2 doubles, playing 2nd base and that was about all for Lansing's offense.
  • Matt Fields made the start and gave up 2 runs over 4 innings, striking out 3 with no walks.

New Hampshire pounded got pounded by  Portland 13-6:

Dunedin beat Jupiter 7-4:

  • Keeping up with Chad Jenkins, who had an excellent start on Monday (5 Ks, no walks in 5 one-run innings, Henderson Alvarez had a nice start.  3 runs in 5 innings, but 7 strikeouts and 2 walks.
  • Frank Gailey pitched 2 2/3 good relief innings.
  • Travis D'Arnaud was 2-4 with a double.
  • Mark Sobolewski continued his hot hitting.  After hitting a home run on Monday, he was 3-4 last night.
  • Brian Van Kirk was 2-4 with his 7th home run.
  • Wellinton Ramirez was 3-4 with 2 doubles.

Auburn squeaked by Jamestown, 8-7:

  • Jonathan Jones led off and was 3-4.
  • Carlos Perez had a 3-run double in 5 trips to the plate.
  • Catcher Jack Murphy was 2-4 with a double and a walk.
  • Gustavo Pierre was 3-4 with a walk.  Would be great to see him start to hit.
  • Andy Hutchison, who some folks thought I left off our recent Auburn prospect rundown, had a poor start, giving up 7 hits and 4 runs over 4 2/3 innings.  He did have 5 Ks and no walks and got a ton of groundballs, so likely just good process, bad results.  Still having an excellent season.

The GCL Jays dropped a 2-1 contest to the GCL Tigers:

  • 18-year old Bronx native Melvin Garcia had a couple of doubles.  He's only played a handful of games but has started off very well.