FanPost

Bautista Should Be Traded

It's time for the Jays to trade Jose Bautista.

Why?

This is why.  Everyone who has ever considered the issue of Bautista should read.

In an absolutely brilliant article, the case for trading Jose comes down to this little question right here:

And what keeps haunting me when I think of it all is this question: in two years time which Jays fan lament seems more realistic, "I can’t believe we traded Jose Bautista!" or "I can’t believe we didn’t trade Jose Bautista when his value was at its absolute highest?"

I, like Stoeten at DJF, believe the latter.  And I don't think it's really all that difficult to make that decision.

Should they give Bautista away?  Absolutely not.  But this year is so far beyond Bautista's career norms that it is patently unreasonable to expect him to continue like this.  Could he have taken a drastic leap forward?  Yes.  Or, he could be having a career season, like lots of players have all the time.

Again, I'm not saying give the guy away.  But if a quality prospect (top 50?) is offered, I think AA has to seriously consider the possibility.  Sell-high, buy-low is the quickest way back to contention.  AA did it brilliantly with Alex Gonzalez for Yunel Escobar, and it's time to try again.