When We Were Living Up on Hennepin: Toronto 8, Minnesota 1

The Jays took the series tonight with a nice win off the Twins

On the Mound:

Brett Cecil was excellent, giving up just 4 hits and a walk through seven innings.  The one run against him came on a solo home run by Michael Cuddyer.  Cecil struck out two and induced 11 ground balls compared to 9 of the aerial variety. Great way to head into the all-star break.

At the Plate:

The Jays were back to their homer-hitting ways tonight, smacking 5 solo long-balls.  Adam Lind (yay!) Fred Lewis, Lyle Overbay, Jose Molina, and Jose Bautista all went deep.  Ironically, the big hit of the day wasn't a home run, it was Alex Gonzalez's three run double.  The Jays didn't walk today, but that's not unusual against Scott Baker.  It was a good matchup for a free-swinging team, facing a guy who throws strikes and induces a lot of fly balls, and they took advantage.

From the Pen:

Cecil and the offense turned a big lead over to the Jays in the 8th, and Casey Janssen and David Purcey did a nice job closing it out.  I don't know, maybe Janssen and Purcey have been good enough to at least take some of the higher-leverage innings that have been going to Frasor and Tallet.  It's not like either of those two have impressed.

More good news - Shaun Marcum played some long toss today and is evidently still on track to return after the all-star break - I wonder whether it'll be Litsch or Zep that goes down - I'm betting Zep stays.

Cecil and Seabass are Jays of the day, with Lind earning honourable mention.  Keep it up, Adam.