FanPost

Anthopoulos' trading philosophy

Nothing earth-shattering, but there was an interesting bit buried in a Canadian Press story on Yunel Escobar the other day in the Globe and Mail. Reporter Shi Davidi sums up Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos' trading philosophy pretty neatly I thought. I figure it makes for a nice little reference for anyone looking to describe his approach.

First, the rookie GM is not a passive player in trade talks who waits for teams to come to him. Backed by reports prepared by his vastly expanded scouting department, he initiates conversations by telling his counterparts which players he wants.

Second, he'll accept some risk in order to get elite talent back. He showed that in the trade with Seattle for blossoming ace Brandon Morrow back in December, and again in the deal for Escobar, who struggled badly the first half of this season.

Third, he won't horde his prospects and is more than willing to use them to make what he feels is the right deal happen.

Fourth, Anthopoulos is a patient man and won't be rushed into a deal for the sake of making one. The Escobar deal took a month to finalize, the Morrow trade dragged out even longer.

Fifth, he's looking for pieces to add to his core, not to simply build around it.