Four Days Wide Awake, Why Slide Along And Say: Red Sox 7, Jays 5

The Jays battled today and showed a lot of good, but ultimately dropped the game to Boston 7-5.

On the Mound:

Ricky Romero ran into problems in the second inning, giving up three runs on a number of hard hit balls.  He limited the damage the rest of the way, ending up with 5 runs over his 6 innings, with four strikeouts and 2 walks.  Not his best performance, but Boston is a tough team.

At the Plate:

Adam Lind went deep for his 16th home run of the season to get a run back in the second.  Lind also doubled in the contest off Boston starter Daisuke Matsuzaka.  After a horrible May and June to ruin a solid April, Lind enjoyed a very good July and is off to a terrific start in August.  Travis Snider had a big game at the plate, going 2-5 with a 3-run home run in the third inning to erase Boston's lead and a double.  He hit from the 2 spot.  Moonraker did strike out with the bases loaded in the 6th, but you can't win 'em all.  And Jose Bautista just can't be kept down - he hit a solo shot for his 35th home run of the season.  On the other hand, Aaron Hill was 0-5 and J.P. Arencibia had a tough game at the plate, going 0-4 with two strikeouts and two poorly hit balls.

From the Pen:

With the score knotted 5-5, Scott Downs relieved Romero and was great, pitching a perfect inning and a third (1 K and 3 groundouts, wow he's good).  Shawn Camp ran into problems in the 8th, though, giving up three hits including a 2-run home run to Mike Lowell that swung the outcome of the game. After a great first three months of the season, Camp had a very poor July and August isn't off to the best start either.  Jason Frasor pitched a clean 9th.

In the Field:

J.P. Arencibia nabbed Jacoby Ellsbury trying to steal in the fourth  (Yay!)  Edwin Encarnacion threw a ball away in the 7th (boo, but it was erased when Scott Downs induced a double play)

Well, you can't win them all.  Shaun Marcum and Clay Buchholz face off tomorrow in what should be a very interesting matchup of two excellent pitchers.

Today's title is from Tegan and Sara's song "Hell," because losing to Boston is Hell.