7 Run 5th Gets the Jays a Win Over the Yankees

Nice, if sort of awkward slide into home by Bautista. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 8 Yankees 6

I really like beating the Yankees and I like beating A.J. Burnett even more.

The 5th inning was great. Travis Snider doubled. Edwin Encarnacion homered. Jose Molina walked. Fred Lewis doubled. Jose gets put out at home on a Yunel Escobar fielders choice. Jose Bautista Doubled. Vernon Wells doubled. Overbay struck out. Aaron Hill doubled. Burnett finally gets pulled. Snider doubled for the second time in the inning. EE lined out. So that added up to 6 doubles (tying a AL record), a homer and 7 runs. Other than a Wells solo homer in the first second, that was all our scoring.

Brandon Morrow wasn't great. He gave up a 2 run homer to Swisher in the first. Then, after sitting for a half hour while we scored a bunch, he gave up another 2 run homer, this time to Teixeira. After a walk, strikeout and single in the 6th, Cito pulled him for Scott Downs. Snakeface was great, after giving up a single off his foot, he got out of the inning without another run scoring and then pitched a perfect 7th. Jason Frasor and David Purcey gave us a scoreless 8 and Kevin Gregg got his 24th save, allowing a Swisher home run, but nothing else in the 9th. A great day for our bullpen.

Jays of the Day are Bautista (.137 WPA, but no homers, tsk), Encarnacion (.132), Downs (.127) and Wells (.107). Hill and Snider deserve honorable mention. Escobar (-.168) and Morrow (-.100) had Suckage numbers.

Oh and if you were interested, ARod went 0 for 5 with 2 strikeouts. I wouldn't mind if we left New York with him still looking for his 600th home run.

Tomorrow Ricky Romero goes against the Yankees, Dustin Moseley gets his first start of the season for the Yankees. He is 8-7 with a 5.35 ERA career, all but 2 innings of that with the Angels