FanPost

25 for 25: Blue Jays

I'm actually a St. Louis Cardinals fan, but over the past few months I've been working on a roster for each franchise in the majors, composed of players over the last 25 years. The way this works is that I pick one player from each season and I have to fill out an entire roster (for AL teams, 2 catchers, 2 infielders at each position, 5 total outfielders, one designated hitter, 5 starting pitchers, 4 relievers). I can't take more than one player for each year, I have to take one player each season even in the bad years, and I can't use the same player for multiple positions or years. If a player played the majority of his games at one position, I can't use that season for another position even if he's played it before. And I used basic minimums of 60 innings or 250 PA's (prorated for strike seasons).

The interesting part with this are the decisions that have to be made, whether it is, "Dang, there are some really nice outfielder seasons to choose from, who gets left out?", or, "Does this team even have two decent catchers in a 25-year span?", or, "This guy had so many great years - which one do I choose?" Sometimes a great year gets left out, sometimes a fluke, partial season gets tabbed for the team. I actually posted a fully researched extended version for the Cardinals from 1910 to 1934. The NL versions for this era are there as well (linky, linky, linky, linky).

You're welcome to pick apart my choices and make suggestions of your own. I'm looking forward to hearing from everybody.

C – Ernie Whitt (1989), Greg Zaun (2005)

1B – John Olerud (1993), Carlos Delgado (2000)

2B – Roberto Alomar (1992), Aaron Hill (2007)

3B – Kelly Gruber (1988), Eric Hinske (2002)

SS – Tony Fernandez (1990), Marco Scutaro (2009)

OF – Jesse Barfield (1986), George Bell (1987), Devon White (1991), Shawn Green (1999), Vernon Wells (2006)

DH – Paul Molitor (1994)

SP – Dave Stieb (1985), Al Leiter (1995), Pat Hentgen (1996), Roger Clemens (1997), Roy Halladay (2003)

RP – Paul Quantrill (1998), Kelvim Escobar (2001), Justin Speier (2004), Scott Downs (2008)

Notable exceptions: Pat Borders (1990), Fred McGriff (1989), Troy Glaus (2006), Alex Rios (2007), Dave Winfield (1992), Jimmy Key (1987), Juan Guzman (1992), Todd Stottlemyre (1994), David Wells (2000), Mark Eichhorn (1986), Tom Henke (1989), Duane Ward (1993), Billy Koch (2000), B.J. Ryan (2006)