FanPost

Encarnacion

Can someone please tell me why Edwin Encarnacion continues to get regular playing time? It's not even so much that he's getting playing time, but that he's getting playing time over someone like Travis Snider.

He is a mediocre hitter with decent power, and I could tolerate his offensive production as I would any player with similar stats if they run smart and play solid defense. The latter two things are not part of Edwin's skillset, which basically means he has no value.

Add to that that he is taking time away from other players who deserve it and should be getting it and I am left scratching my head.

Snider is part the future of this team and needs to be out there. Bautista is preferred in RF, and rightly so, but the team is just better overall offensively and defensively with him at 3B and Snider in RF.

If this team is truly rebuilding, and we're not part of the playoff chase, why are we not commiting to our stars of tomorrow at this point?  Are we really going to resign Encarnacion??

I actually think John McDonald is a much better option at third base. It isn't his primary defensive position but the guy has gifted hands and would probably adapt and be great at 3B just as he is at SS or 2B. He's not the worst hitter, not really any more a liability than Edwin, just doesn't have as much pop. I'm willing to bet he could be productive enough out of the 9th spot in the order if given the opportunity to play every day... of course they'd lose that key utility guy off the bench which is important to have.