John McDonald homers but, Jays still lose to Tigers

Tigers 10 Blue Jays 4

You would think if John McDonald his a home run, we ought to win. But no.

Marc Rzepczynski was doing pretty good for the first 5 innings. But the 6th went walk, single, pop out, walk, double, groundout, walk. Then, finally Cito took Marc out of the game. I guess he only gave up two runs in the inning but he clearly had lost it. If he had come out after 5 we would considered it a good start. All-in-all he walked too many (5) but he struck 8. Not a good start but you can see the potential there.

Jesse Carlson had a tough time in the 7th, giving up 2 homers and 3 runs. Brian Tallet, was, unfortunately Brian Tallet in the 8th, giving up his own 3 run homer, not that it mattered since the game was already lost. Casey Janssen pitched a perfect 9th. I am really not a fan of Janssen being a mop up pitcher. I'd rather Tallet get shelled for another inning.

On offense, we did very little against Rick Porcello, 3 hits, including Johnny Mac's 4th homer in 7 innings. We got 3 more runs in the 9th off reliever Jose Valverde on a Adam Lind home run, but it was way too little too late by then.

No Jay of the Day today. Scrabble gets the Towers award for a -.124.

We had a few bad plays in the field. Aaron Hill dropped a popup, that cost us a run. Later McDonald called Jose Bautista off a foul pop up and then missed it. I don't know, I figure if you call a teammate off a ball, you better catch it. Snider had a couple of adventures in RF.

Tomorrow we start a three game series against the Rays in Tampa Bay. Cecil starts for us. Wade Davis (10-9, 4.41) for the Rays.

The Jays had a nice celebration for the 20th anniversary of Dave Stieb's no-hitter for the Jays. Great to see him again. He was a favorite of mine. Truly a great pitcher