Blue Jays Move A-Ball Team to Vancouver

The Blue Jays are partnering up with the Vancouver Canadians of the Northwest League, ending their partnership with the Auburn Doubledays.

Here is the press release:

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have signed a four-year player development contract with the VANCOUVER CANADIANS of the Northwest League (A).

Partnering with Vancouver is a key initiative for both the Canadians and the Blue Jays, as it unites Canada's only Minor League affiliate with Canada's only Major League club. Having always received strong support from the west coast and particularly with British Columbia becoming a hotbed for baseball, this partnership will enhance the success of both organizations. Current British Columbia natives in the Blue Jays system include, Trystan Magnuson, Scott Richmond (Vancouver), Adam Loewen (Surrey), Michael Crouse & Shawn Bowman (New Westminster).

The Vancouver Canadians drew a club record 154,592 fans in 2010 at Scotiabank Field at Nat Bailey Stadium, for an average of 4,068 to rank 2nd in the eight team Northwest League. It marked the 2nd consecutive season that the Canadians established a franchise attendance record, and with 2011 being the 60th season that Vancouver has called Nat Bailey Stadium home, both the Blue Jays and Canadians organizations are excited about the next four seasons.

The entire Blue Jays organization would like to thank the Auburn Doubledays for being tremendous partners over the previous 10 seasons. President Tom Gainey, General Manager Carl Gutelius, and the entire organization were integral in the development of many key Blue Jays players both professionally and personally since the inception of our relationship in 2001.

Tom Back: It is very nice to see the Jays team up with a Canadian city and great for Jay's fans out west, we'll get a chance to see some of our prospects while they are in the low minors.

Latest News

In This Article

Teams