Two Million Drunk Bostonians Are Getting Ready: Jays 4, Boston 3

Another tight one today, but once again the Jays came out on top.

On the Mound:

Ricky Romero battled against a tough lineup, getting through 6 innings and giving up 3 runs, 2 in his final inning.  He struck out 4 and walked 3, but was most successful in inducing ground balls - 17 of them to be exact, and just two in the air.  The Jays gave him a lead and he bent, but didn't break, holding Boston long enough.

At the Plate:

Jose Bautista got things going with his 49th home run of the season in the first inning.  He has just been incredible and it's great seeing him finish so strong.  This was no floater, Bautista launched it over the Monster and clear out of Fenway.  Adam Lind was another big contributor on offense, with 2 doubles.  Travis Snider, Lyle Overbay, and J-Mac had a couple of hits apiece, though neither of Mac's made it to the outfield and Snider lined out in one of his other at-bats.  Fred Lewis was a big 0-5.

From the Pen:

Jason Frasor put two baserunners on in the 7th but David Purcey came in to strike out David Ortiz to end the inning.  Purcey and Camp split the 8th and then it was up to Gregg to protect the 1-run lead in the 9th.  Gregg got the job done, but it was by no means pretty.

Gregg got the first out when Marco Scutaro lined to short.  Ryan Kalish then singled and, in a game-changing play, got picked off first.  Victor Martinez made Kalish feel extra bad when he tripled into the gap, but Gregg managed to get Adrian Beltre to ground out to strand the tying run on third.

Jays of the Day:

Lind, Bautista, Camp, Purcey, and Romero.  Gregg certainly has the numbers, but I can't give it to him.

Title:  "The Ice of Boston" by the Dismemberment Plan, who just announced they are doing a short reunion tour to support the reissue of Emergency & I, one of my favourite all-time records.

Catch you all tomorrow, when the Jays chase the sweep behind Shaun Marcum.  Jon Lester stands in the way, though.