FanShot

The scout who drafted Bautista

Bob Elliott's got a nice interview with Mickey White who was responsible for drafting Jose Bautista originally with the Pirates in 2000 and again as Rule V pick by the Orioles in 2004. He has some good insight on the road travelled by Bautista to get to the monster season he's had this year. This quote seems apt: "Jose’s always been such a good player but at times he was victimized by versatility, people hung a utility tag on him." On that last bit, even after the season he's having, Jose Bautista's Wikipedia page is still titled José Bautista (utility player). Someone ought to change that.