Blue Jays Add 7th Minor League Affiliate

The Blue Jays sent out two press releases this morning. One saying the have extended their agreement with the Lansing Lugnuts for two more years, 2011 and 2012.

The other announces a new Jay minor league team:

BLUE JAYS TO PLAY IN BLUEFIELD

Toronto to add seventh affiliate in 2011

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have reached a four-year working agreement with the Bluefield Baseball Club of the Appalachian League (Rookie advanced). This addition will see the Blue Jays field a seventh minor league affiliate for the 2011 season.

The Bluefield Blue Jays will begin play with manager Dennis Holmberg at Bowen Field in Bluefield, West Virginia, a city rich in baseball history that can be traced back to 1882. The organization has been affiliated with the Boston Braves, Washington Senators, Boston Red Sox, Brooklyn Dodgers and for the last 53 seasons, the Baltimore Orioles.

"This is another example of our commitment to Scouting and Development as the driving force to move our organization forward. The first step was to invest in our scouting staff, then allocating resources to the First Year Player Draft and amateur free agents. Next year we will take another step forward by expanding to seven minor league affiliates. Bluefield is a tremendous partner for us and presents a great opportunity for our young men to develop."

-- Tony LaCava, VP, Baseball Operations & Assistant General Manager

The Blue Jays affiliates in 2010 are,

Las Vegas 51's - AAA (Contract expires following the 2010 season)

New Hampshire Fisher Cats - AA (Agreement through 2012 season)

Dunedin Blue Jays - A- Advanced (Club owned team)

Lansing Lugnuts - A (2 year extension through 2012 season)

Auburn Doubledays - A - short season (Contract expires following 2010 season)

Gulf Coast Blue Jays - Rookie (Club owned team).