FanPost

Locking up Bautista?

The Blue are in the process of heading into arbitration with Bautista. In the words of Michael Vlessides a consultant to major league teams on arbitration cases "Arbitration... is an Ugly Process" (http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/01/14/bautista-should-cash-in-on-breakout-year/) and that if the Blue Jays can get a contract through they would surely prefer avoiding arbitration.

Arbitration is low risk after a single break out year. Though Hills contract had a number of team friendly options, recent and current contracts with Lind, Hill, Wells, BJ Ryan, and Alex Rios all reflect the dangers of free agency. Although the Hill and Lind contracts are a bit early to tell, the Jays have been less than lucky with many of their medium/long term contracts.

That being said (and though the list doesn't reflect this) I feel that hitters (especially because they are less likely to get of injured) are less risky. I also feel like patient hitters are less likely to completely lose their value although a Carlos Pena like regression would not be impossible for Jose Bautista (though Bautista strikes out less).