FanPost

Jays, Janssen Settle

Casey Janssen and the Blue Jays have apparently reached a deal for 2011.  The deal, which settles Janssen's arbitration case, is for $1,095,000 for 2011.

Janssen wasn't one of Cito Gaston's favourites in 2010 for high leverage innings, but he actually had a very solid season.  Casey posted excellent strikeout (8.26 K/9) and walk (2.75 BB/9) rates and also pitched to his usual excellent ground ball rates (46.6%, 1.59 GB/FB).  He was somewhat unlucky on balls in play (.336 BABIP against) but still managed a solid 3.67 ERA (3.63 xFIP, 3.85 FIP).

Although Janssen's stuff is more characterized by 5 solid pitches rather than the 2 plus pitches that typically characterize a late inning bullpen arm, he's been an asset in the Blue Jays bullpen and is probably as good or better than new acquisitions and fellow righties Carlos Villanueva, Octavio Dotel, and Jon Rauch.