Today in Bluebird Banter History: A Look at our Top Prospects from 2007

Four years ago, achengy put up his Top 20 Blue Jay Prospects. I thought it would be fun to look at where these guys are now. Not picking on your choices achengy, it was a pretty fair representation of where the system was at the time. The team listed is where the player was in 2007.

1. Travis Snider OF (Lansing Lugnuts): Well you know the story. Travis was just 19 then.

2. Brett Cecil LHP (Auburn Doubledays): Again,  you know the story. Has 26 major league wins.

3. Curtis Thigpen C (MLB/Syracuse Chiefs): One of the long list of catching prospects that didn't pan out. Thigpen played 57 games for us in 2007/2008, hittin g.229/.289/.297. He was picked up by the A's in March of 2009 and then released by the A's in April of 2010 and is out of professional ball now.

4. Robinzon Diaz C (Syracuse Chiefs): Best prospect we ever had, he got us Jose Bautista. Robinzon played 41 games for the Pirates in 2009, hitting .279/.307/.357. After the season he signed with the Tigers and in January 2011 he signed with the Rangers but didn't play with either team. He spent last season playing in AA and AAA, hitting .318/.352/.444 with 7 home runs in 55 games.

5. Johermyn Chavez OF (GCL Jays): Part of the trade to get Brandon Morrow from the Mariners. He had a very good 2010 season (.315/.387/.577 in A ball) but had a tough time this year, hitting .216/.312/.360 at Double-A. He's just 22 so has time to work things out.

6. Jonathan (JP) Arencibia C (Auburn Doubledays): You know.

7. Ricky Romero LHP (New Hamshire FisherCats): Again you know. 42 wins in 3 seasons, ERA improved in each, 4.30, 3.73, 2.92.  I wonder what is the next number in the sequence?

8. Kevin Ahrens SS/3B (GCL Jays): Our first round pick in 2007, he hasn't panned out. He hit .242/.334/.389 in Dunedin this year

9. Kyle Ginley RHP (Lansing Lugnuts): 17th round pick in 2006, really too high up on this list. Last pitched in Dunedin in 2009, making just 5 relief appearances. he was listed on the Dunedin roster in 2010 but has had injury troubles. Not sure where he is now.

10. John Tolisano 2B (GCL Jays): 2nd round choice in 2007. Made it to New Hampshire this year, hitting .221/.317/.416 there, playing mostly in the outfield. 23 now, not a prospect anymore.

11. Marc Rzepczynski, LHP (Auburn DoubleDays): You know this one too, pitching in the playoffs with the Cards.

12. David Purcey LHP (New Hampshire Fisher Cats): He had an interesting year. Started off in our pen, that didn't go well. Traded to Oakland, who got a 2.13 ERA in 12.2 innings before they traded him to the Tigers for Scott Sizemore. How they could get Sizemore for him, I don't know. Pitched 18.2 innings for Detroit, walking 20 with 12 strikeouts. Finished the year in Toledo with the Mudhens.

13. Josh Banks RHP (MLB/Syracuse Chiefs): Got into 3 games for us, back in 2007. The Padres picked him up off waivers from us. He made 14 starts for them in 2008, getting a 3-6 record with a 4.75 ERA. Got into 6 games with them in 2009. Was signed by the Astros, as a free agent, before the 2010 season and made 1 start for them. Signed with the Giants, last year in the off-season. Made 12 AAA starts, finishing with a 7.27 ERA. He's 29 now.

14. Chi-Hung Cheng LHP (GCL/Auburn): He was in our farm system through the 2008 season. Played A-ball for the Pirates in 2009, going 7-3 with a 4.16 ERA and was released by them after the season. I'd imagine he is back in Taiwan now.

15. Adrian Martin RHP (Dunedin Jays): Pitched with us till the middle of the 2010 season then was picked up by the Giants. Pitched a bit in the Atlantic league. Couldn't tell you where he is now.

16. Eric Eiland OF (GCL Jays): A second round pick in 2007, he didn't hit much and was let go after 2010. Played independent league ball last year, hiiting .325 with the McAllen Thunder.

17. Justin Jackson SS (GCL Jays): 1st round pick in 2007, hasn't really turned out to be what we hoped he would. Played as a utility player in Dunedin and New Hampshire this year, hitting.249/.329/.357 between the two. Only chance to make the majors is as a utility player and that chance is pretty slim.

18. Balbino Fuenmayor 3B (GCL Jays): International free agent signing back in 2007. He played in Vancouver and Lansing this year. Hit ok in Lansing, .287/.346/.362 in 29 games, but hasn't developed the power that his 6'3", 235lb frame suggests. He is just 21 still, but would have to start hitting soon to have a shot at a career.

19. Ryan Patterson OF (New Hampshire Fishercats): 4th round pick. People expected a lot from him but he never hit the way he was supposed to. Played in the Jays' system till 2008, getting to New Hampshire, where he hit 248/.284/.435.He played independent league ball in 2009/2010.

20. Brandon Magee RHP (Dunedin Jays): Played in the Jays system until the end of the 2009 season. His numbers got worse as he moved up the organization. He never struck out enough batters to have much success, in 479 minor league innings he struck out 243. Pitch in Gary in an independent league in 2010.

Honorable Mention: Josh Kreuzer, Nate Starner, AJ Wideman, Kyle Yates, Aaron Mathews, Bradley Mills, Jonathan Del Campo and David Smith.

The only one of HM still in the organization is Brad Mills. Most of the others are playing Independent ball somewhere.