FanPost

Is Our Biggest Weakness Pitching, Offense or Defense? + poll

I've been looking at our run differentials and decided to break them down a bit.  This may or may not be valid but that can be discussed also.

First of all, here is the methodology I used.  The Yankees had a run differential of +210 and the Jays were -18 so their total difference is 228.  The offensive difference in runs scored between the Yankees and Jays is 124 runs.  This leaves 104 runs (228-124)  to account for in fielding + defense.  The Yankees Fangraphs Fld is +23.2 while the Jays is -16.0 for a difference of 39.2 runs.  The pitching difference is then 104 - 39.2 = 64.8 runs.

In summary the 228 run difference can be broken down into:

  • Offense ,  124 runs , 54.4%
  • Pitching , 64.8 runs , 28.4%
  • Defense , 39.2 runs , 17.2%

I did the same thing for the Rays:

  • Offense  ,   -36 runs ,  -32.4%
  • Pitching ,   76.3 runs  ,  68.7%
  • Defense ,  54.7 runs  ,  63.7%

And the Red Sox:

  • Offense  ,  132 runs ,  84.6%
  • Pitching ,  -34.8 runs , -22.3%
  • Defense ,  58.8 runs , 37.7%

Overall there is a 495 run combined difference for the 3 teams:

  • Offense ,  220 runs   , 44.4%
  • Pitching ,  106.3 runs , 21.5%
  • Defense ,  168.7 runs , 34.1%

Once again, I'm not sure about the validity of doing it this way but you can discuss that too.  Hopefully there are no math errors though.