Recap of October 4 LDS Games.

Two former Jay starters pitched yesterday, Shawn Marcum and A.J. Burnett, one had a good start, one had a blow up. Unfortunately it wasn't the way around you would expect.

Rangers 4 Rays 3. Rangers win series 3-1.

Three solo home runs for Adrian Beltre and one solo shot to Ian Kinsler won the game for the Rangers. Jeremy Hellickson started for the Rays, and game up 4 hits in 4 innings but 3 of them were home runs. Matt Moore came in, in relief and gave up one more home run and that was pretty much the game. The Rays tried to come back in the 9th, getting a walk and a single to make it a 1 run game but that was it. Former Jay Michael Young was 0 for 3 with a walk.

Stars of the game:

Rangers: Beltre (.334 WPA), Derek Holland (.115 for 1.1 innings of relief) and Kinsler (.106).

Rays: Casey Kotchman (.126).

No Suckage Rangers.

Suckage Rays: Hellickson (-.190), B.J. Upton (.128), Evan Longoria (-.124), Johnny Damon (-.122).

Yankees 10 Tigers 1. Series tied at 2.

A.J. Burnett loaded the bases in the first inning and we figured, ok here we go but Curtis Granderson made a great catch on Don Kelly, hard hit, line drive and AJ got out of the inning. After that all went well for AJ, other than a solo homer by Victor Martinez. AJ went 5.2, giving up 4 hits, 4 walks, 1 earned, with 3 strikeouts.

Rick Porcello, on the other hand, gave up 4 runs in 6 innings and the Tigers bullpen gave up 6 more runs. The Yankees had 13 hits.

Stars of the game:

Yankees: Burnett (.204 WPA) and Jeter (.110)

Tigers: Martinez (.118)

No Suckage Yankees. Tigers: Porcello (-.157) and Ramon Santiago (-.143).

Phillies 3 Cardinals 2. Phillies lead series 2-1.

Philadelphia got all 3 runs in the 7th inning, off a Ben Francisco pinch hit homer. Until then it was a pitcher's duel between Cole Hamels and Jamie Garcia. Hamel went 6 scoreless innings. Garcia had 6 scoreless innings too, but then gave up the 3 runs in the 7th. The Cardinals had 12 hits, but only 3 runs. Albert Pujols and Ryan Theriot had 4 hits each.

Stars of the game:

Phillies: Ben Francisco (.399 for one swing of the bat), Ryan Madison (.380 for 1.2 innings of 1 run relief. He came into the game with the bases loaded in the 8th and got the double play ball to get out of it) and Hamel (.348)

Cards: Pujols (.194).

Suckage:

Phillies: John Mayberry (-.121) and Ryan Howard (-.115).

Cards: Allen Craig (-.272), Lance Berkman (-.193) and David Freese (-.103). Though if you add up Jamie Garcia's pitching (-.036) and batting (-.139), but I don't think it is fair to count a pitchers bat against him.

Brewers 1 Diamondbacks 8. Brewers lead 2-1.

I was so looking forward to seeing Shawn Marcum in the playoffs. It didn't turn out well. 7 earned in 4.2 innings. The big blow was a Paul Goldschmidt grandslame, after Marcum intentionally walked Miguel Montero. It didn't look like Shawn agreed with the idea of the intentional walk. Aaron Hill was 0 for 3 with a walk. John McDonald got into the game, as a defensive replacement) and was 0 for 1. Lyle Overbay rode the bench. Ryan Roberts (sort of a former Jay) was 2 for 4 with an RBI.

Stars of the Day:

No Brewers. Diamondbacks: Montero (.216, thought some of that would be the IBB), Goldschmidt (.208) and Josh Collmenter (.187, for the 7 innings of 2 hit ball).

Suckage Brewers: Marcum (-.300).