Saturday Bantering: A Quick Recap.

It has been a busy couple of days in baseball, let's do a quick recap:

  • The best news was that Wilson Ramos was found and is now home, after a gun battle between his kidnappers and police. Glad to hear he is ok, but I'm pretty sure that this won't be the last time that a player is kidnapped, there is a large gap between rich and poor in the Venezuela and some of the other Latin American countries. Getting ransom is a growth industry.
  • The Red Sox interviewed Torey Lovullo for their manager job.
  • Phillies signed Jonathan Papelbon for 4 years and $50 million, plus a $10 million option. Seems like a lot of money for a guy that will pitch 60 to 70 innings, but the Phillies have the second highest payroll in baseball already. I think it is a bad contract, but I can understand it more for the Phillies than I would have if the Jays or someone else had.
  • We found out that the Jays were interested in Jamie Carroll, just a couple of hours before he signed with the Twins. I liked the idea of him as a utility infielder, but the Twins wanted him as a full-time shortstop. That I don't get, I don't think he is good enough defensively that I'd want him out there everyday, especially at SS, but if I was him I'd have signed to be a full-time guy there over being a utility guy for the Jays.
  • Bob Elliot also tells us that the Jays are interested in Ryan Madson. I think the Jays talk to every free agent. I'd rather keep our first round pick than sign him.
  • The Marlins have offered contracts to just about everyone; Reyes, Pujols, Buehrle and Madson, hoping one of them will be willing to wear their new ugly uniform.

Did I miss anything?

Latest News

In This Article

Teams