FanPost

Cole Hamels: Big Budget Casualty? In Our Dreams.

With the general managers ascending on Milwaukee in the coming days, the rumour mill will begin to churn as the ground work for potential trades is laid. Knowing what we do about Alex Anthopoulos, it is safe to assume that he will be making inquires on any player that he feels can contribute next year and beyond. With the primary need being a front of the line or #2 starter, AA can look no further than Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels, who’s contract status may force Ruben Amaro Jr. to make him available. With one year of arbitration remaining, Hamels as predicted by MLB Trade Rumors, projects to make 14 million dollars next season. Next season, Hamels will be eligible for free agency and will no doubt recieve Sabathia type money on the open market. With 20 million dollar commitments to Lee, Doc, and Howard, as well as a several other players in line for big raises, the Phillies’ budget (2nd highest in the MLB) has no where to go but up and adding another 20 million dollar man in the rotation might not be in the cards. In an article written by Bob Brookover, he projects the Phillies pay-roll to reach 170 million dollars for next season when the contracts are all said and done and that’s before a potential Hamel’s extension. With a farm system depleted over the years, the Phillies could use Hamels as an opportunity to replenish their system with top prospects. Looking at the Roy Halladay trade, the cost was the Phillies 5, 6, and 7th ranked prospects according to Baseball America. The Jays' farm system could easily survive a blow of that magnitude and still continue to be one of the best in baseball. Is it realistic that AA is able to pry a beloved World Series hero out of philli given the circumstances? Probably not. The Phillies are the NL equivalent of the Yankees at this point and spending is becoming of less importance but if Hamels ever did become available, you know who’s calling Amaro first.