FanPost

OT: One Fan's Transformation

I have almost always been a baseball fan, but this year I changed. Before the 2011 season, I was not who I was now. I was the fan who believed in RBIs, saves among other baseball fallacies. I was the fan, whom you hear at the games talking about how Adam Lind is a good first basemen because of his fairly high RBI total, the kind of fan you just want to turn around and tell them how wrong they are.

But then during last year's offseason with nothing other to do than watch hockey all winter, I found MLB Trade Rumors, the first site on my way to internet baseball glory. From their I found a little site called FanGraphs, one you may know. On that site I really got my first taste of saber-metrics, because looking at the stat sheets I sure wasn't used to seeing things like UZR, wOBA, wRC+, and even WAR. As I kept reading and reading about those baseball statistics I eventually became quite familiar with them.

From FanGraphs, the next place I found was the site I visit probably twice as much as any other website everyday, and that site is this great community that is Bluebird Banter. From there I was immediately greeted with nice thoughts from nice people (Yes, even Pikachu) and was welcomed into this online baseball community. I got into my first gamethread a couple days after and was just astonished by how much better it was to watch baseball, but also to have intelligent baseball conversation with some of the many minds on this site. It may not be the same as talking with your friend at the game about how Brett Lawrie is a 10 NERD player (That is if they understood what that meant). But this online community has greatened my baseball knowledge and everyday I am greeted with up to the minute news from Tom, prospecting from Woodman, and new fanposts written by the other members of this site.

It has given me a whole new understanding on the world of Baseball and has opened new opportunities. I no longer believe that the closer with the most saves is the best, I know paying a guy who pitches 60 innings a year a lot of money isn't a good investment, and I know (unfortunately) that despite his RBI total Adam Lind, was just plain bad, and I know that Pikachu's infatuation with Daric Barton is at least feasible. I went from checking and reading the comments over at TSN, to now weekly listening to Up & In, ESPN Baseball today whenever I can and constantly checking players FanGraphs pages to get a better understanding of what they truly are.

This site and many more around the web have given me a new way to love baseball and a place to call home. I don't know if I'm the only one who this has happened to, and I suspect not, but if you did read through this whole post, tell us your BBB Story in the comments below.

Follow me on Twitter @HousOfTheBB