Blue Jays Roster Moves

     The press release:

  The Toronto Blue Jays have added C TRAVIS d'ARNAUD, 1B MICHAEL MCDADE, RHP NESTOR MOLINA and LHP EVAN CRAWFORD to the 40-man roster. RHP ANDREW CARPENTER was claimed on waivers from the San Diego Padres, while C BRIAN JEROLOMAN was claimed on waivers by the Pittsburgh Pirates and RHP COLE KIMBALL was claimed on waivers by the Washington Nationals. Currently the club now has 38 players on the 40-man roster.

(see after the jump for more details)

d'ARNAUD, 22, led the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (AA) to an Eastern League Championship and captured league MVP honours after posting a .311 average with 21 home runs and 78 RBI. The right-handed hitting catcher earned mid-season and post-season All-Star selections and was also honoured with the R. Howard Webster award winner as the MVP of the club.

McDADE, 22, was an Eastern League mid-season All-Star selection at New Hampshire (AA). The 6-1, 225 lb Las Vegas native posted a .281 average with 16 home runs and a club leading 37 doubles. The 37 doubles ranked the switch-hitting first basemen 3rd in the Eastern League.

MOLINA, 22, in his third season after converting to a pitcher and first as a full time starter, combined to go 12-3 with a 2.21 ERA between Dunedin (A) and New Hampshire (AA). In 130.1 innings, the Venezuela native fanned 148 batters while walking just 16 earning selections to both the mid-season and post-season All-Star squads.

CRAWFORD, 25, was a key member of the championship winning New Hampshire bullpen, recording a 3.35 ERA in 45 relief appearances, including 62 strikeouts in 51.0 innings. The Pensacola, Florida native was an 8th round selection by the Blue Jays in 2008 draft.

CARPENTER, 26, appeared in six games for the Padres in 2011, recording an 8.44 ERA in 5.1 innings. The Grant Pass, Oregon native spent the majority of the season at Lehigh Valley (AAA), posting a 5-1 record with a 1.79 ERA in 34 games. The 6-3, 240 lb right-hander was originally selected in the 2nd round pick by the Phillies in the 2006 draft.

Tom here: I'll add more when I have time.

Update:

I hope Kimball enjoyed his few days with the team. He didn't even get to model the new uniform. I'm slightly sad about losing Jeroloman, but the best he was going to become was a backup catcher. I'm a little surprised they thought they had to protect McDade, I can't imagine any team taking him in the Rule 5 draft. Or Crawford for that matter. d'Arnaud would have been grabbed by someone and likely Molina as well.