FanPost

Joe Inglett as Our Starting 2B?...Yes, I'm Serious.

I never understood why a guy like Joe Inglett doesn’t get an opportunity to get a full time job.  I remember JP Ricciardi saying once that a guy like Joe Inglett would never get the benefit of the doubt.  Nice to guy to say that in a public forum eh?  Regardless of what I think, he may be right.  But again, I don’t get it.  Defensive metrics (and my eyes) say he’s fine at 2B.  And in comparison to other 2B out there (albeit in a small sample size of 900 AB), he’s pretty good offensively, though he won’t get you many home runs.  I remember him as a tough out, who could take a walk, and made decent LD-type contact more often than not.  He became a fan-favourite, and at least seemed like a decent guy to have in your clubhouse.

He could probably be had on a minor league deal, so they wouldn’t need to guarantee him anything.  That way, he can compete with McCoy, Hechavarria, and perhaps other low-key FA signings for the starting job.

To be honest, I don’t know why he wouldn’t have an edge over almost anyone else out there.  The free agent market is terrible, and in looking at the other teams’ 2B, I don’t see any realistic trades out there (though feel free to propose any).  Take a look at the career numbers of the available 2B.  How is Inglett any worse than anybody in there (considering offense, defense, age and salary).

Now I won’t pretend that Kelly Johnson isn’t much better than Inglett (because of his expect 20 HR power).  But Johnson is going to cost money and is worth picks.  There’s also going to be a lot of competition, so the Jays might not even be able to keep him if they want to.

Castillo, Infante and Felipe Lopez could also be decent stopgap options.

Available 2B after jump

Available second basemen

Player

Avg

OBP

SLG

OPS

Notes

Joe Inglett

283

342

392

734

898 AB.  About average according to defensive metrics.  Won’t cost much

Luis Castillo

290

368

351

719

Had a terrible 2011 season.  36 years old.  Could have a bounce-back season

Alex Cora

243

310

338

562

Not even worth discussing as a starter

Craig Counsell

255

342

344

686

His offensive #’s are declining and weren’t that good to start with.

Carlos Guillen

285

355

443

798

Good career #’s, but they are (along with his AB’s) seriously declining and are not consistent with his career #’s.  He’s 36.

Jerry Hairston Jr.

258

326

371

698

Slightly below average defensively.  Has never found a full time gig in 13 years

Omar Infante

275

318

393

711

He did not have a great 11 season, but could bounce back.

Kelly Johnson

260

343

441

784

We know his story.  He’s probably the top FA 2B, and will probably cost about $8M/year

Adam Kennedy

272

326

385

711

He’s been pretty awful for 2 years now

Felipe Lopez

264

33

391

724

He’s been inconsistent in his career, but if he has a good year, he’s OK.

Jose Lopez

263

294

398

692

He’s been pretty awful for 2 years now

Aaron Miles

281

320

352

672

Adam Everett

242

294

346

640

Would he be willing to play 2B?

Rafael Furcal

282

348

408

756

Would he be willing to play 2B?

Alex Gonzalez

247

291

399

690

Would he be willing to play 2B?

Augie Ojeda

234

320

313

633

Nick Punto

249

325

327

652

Edgar Renteria

286

343

348

741

His career #’s are not indicative of his recent performance (about .650 OPS)

Ramon Santiago

249

316

342

658

Jack Wilson

266

307

368

675

Orland Hudson

277

345

417

762

Under contract for 5.75 M.  Had a down year, could a trade be made?

Orlando Cabrera

272

317

390