FanPost

2nd Base... Why not Hechavarria SS/Escobar 2B?

So we know we have a problem to find someone playing 2nd Base next year.

Ellis, Hill, Barmes and Carrol are signed.

There is nobody out there on the free agent market who blows me away. You can sign Furcal or Cabrera, go with Mike McCoy or give Kelly Johnson a multi-year contract and hope he´ll take it. But in that case we wouldn´t get the draft pics for Kelly. You can start to trade for someone but with Hechavarria already in Las Vegas what do we want to offer for a stop gap?

So we need to ask the question if we are already good enough to fight for the wild card(s) in 2012. I don´t believe we are ready in 2012. And if we are not, why not try to go with Hechavarria at SS and Escobar at 2nd base? The glove of Hech seems to be ready for the big show. I´n not following baseball long enough nor have I ever tried to play the game. But what is the argument against letting Hech learn to hit by doing it against mlb pitchers. Is it really an advantage to play one more year against AAA pitchers and then try to adjust in 2013 (with unknown results)?

I´d offer arbitration to Kelly J. and if he declines...and I think he will decline.... go with Hech at SS and Escobar at 2nd!