FanPost

1B Option.... maybe, maybe not... but at least it's not Votto.

I have read some reports that Reds GM Walt Jocketty is speaking with the Jays, among others, about the possible move of Yonder Alonso.  Alonso produces an interesting dilemma for the Reds - he's a highly touted 1B prospect.  The Reds, barring an unforeseen injury or other circumstance, are set at 1st for the next foreseeable future, thanks to Mr. Canada.  So their solution, so far, has been to put him in left field and hope he develops there.  He played 62 of 93 minor league games this season in left field, 21at 1st, and another 10 as a DH.  In the majors, he played 16 games in left and 10 games at 1st.

3SA, obviously.  But here's his numbers at both levels over his career.

AAA: .296/.364/.478, 24 HRs, 112 RBIs, 83 BBs, 136 Ks. 192 games played, 854 PAs.

MLB: .299/.354/.479, 5 HRs, 18 RBIs, 10 BBs, 31 Ks. 69 games played, 127 PAs.

I'm not really one for sabermetrics, as you might be able to tell.

There's obviously a small sample size, but if you take a look at it and compare these numbers with other ones, there is consistency.  His triple slash line over his entire minor league career is .293/.370/.466.

Couple things I notice here - he doesn't appear to have a lot of power, however, every scouting report I've read about his says he has solid contact and power abilities.  These reports also say that he doesn't have a lot of foot speed, is average at best defensively, and might be best served as a DH in the AL.

These rumors of course are just that.  Rumors.  But you never know whether or not they're true.  Keeping in mind that the Reds are looking for pitching that will contribute now, what do you think is an acceptable trade involving Alonso from their end and a higher-level pitcher from ours?  Discuss.

AAaaaaaaaaaaaannnndddddd go.