Today in Bluebird Banter History: Alex Gonzalez

Two years ago today we signed Alex Gonzalez to play shortstop for us, giving him a $2.75 one year deal, with a $2.5 million option. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the signing, but Alex somehow traded him (and a couple of minor leaguers) for Yunel Escobar (and Jo-Jo Reyes, but I'm trying to forget that part). If you would have told me we could have flipped Sea Bass for Escobar, at the time, I'd have never believed you. In fact I still have troubles believing it.

If you want to compare the two, in 2011 Yunel hit .290/.369/.413 while Alex hit .240/.270/.372. At the moment Alex is a free agent, Yunel we have signed for $5 million a year until 2015, the last couple of seasons are club options, but I have no doubt we'll be picking it up.

It was a great trade for us, thanks Alex.